It was just Brodie and I celebrating New Year’s Eve. This was one year I am glad to have behind me because of the Covid Pandemic. There was one special event during this difficult year, sweet little Jane was born.
I decided to try a new recipe to enjoy both New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. Lemony Chicken Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Orzo. It is easy and yummy. See the recipe below
Lemony Chicken Soup With Sweet Potatoes and Orzo
- 1 Large Lemon (see my note on using the lemon)
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 3 Large Shallots thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh rosemary
- 8 cups of unsalted chicken stock
- 2 medium sweet potaotes peeled and cut into 3/4″ cubes
- 3 cups of cooked shredded chicken. I used a rotisserie chicken.
- 2 and 3/4 teaspoon of Kosher Salt
- 3/4 cup of uncooked orzo
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove 6 (2-inch) lemon peel strips from the lemon. Squeeze lemon to equal 2 tablespoons of juice. Set aside strips and juice.Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Add shallots and rosemary. Cook, occasionally stirring, until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add lemon peel strips, chicken stock, and potatoes. Bring to a boil over high; reduce heat to medium, add salt, and cook 10 minutes. Add orzo and pre-cooked shredded chicken and cook until potatoes and orzo are tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Remove and discard the lemon peel strips. Stir in lemon juice(I did not add the lemon juice; the strips gave me enough lemon flavor). Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle evenly with chopped parsley.
This is a simple and tasty recipe. I saved time by buying a rotisserie chicken. I shredded the chicken and added it when I added the orzo.
I used the lemon strips but not the juice and I removed the strips after cooking. The lemon juice was a bit too much for me.
I made this for the first time on New Years 2021. It would be nice served with a crusty bread or crackers. I had some Ritz Crackers that I enjoyed with this delicious warm soup.
My recipe rating for this recipe is 8.5/10
Happy Cooking and Baking Everyone and of Course Happy New Year!